Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Beef with Jamba Juice

Ahhh. Refreshed is always my initial reaction after the first sip out of my Jamba Juice cup on a hot summer day. Then immediately, guilt sets in. I feel guilty drinking Jamba Juice smoothies. This is not because my smoothie in hand is unhealthy (although one of Jamba Juice's products did make the top 20 Worst Foods in America list), nor is it overpriced; I feel guilty because I feel like I am hurting the environment and my body with every sip.

Jamba Juice, the famous chain of smoothie restaurants with over 700 locations nationwide, boasts of its "natural" and "healthy" ingredients. Their "fresh" products include fruit smoothies, fruit juices, teas, and baked goods. Do not get me wrong; they are de-li-cious. My real beef with Jamba Juice is not what they serve, but how they serve them: in Styrofoam cups. If you are environmentally conscious or health conscious AT ALL, you should know that there is NOTHING "natural", "healthy", or "fresh" about Styrofoam. 

Styrofoam is not biodegradable, which means that it is filing up our landfills and stays there for a LONG time since it does not erode quickly. With no where else to go, the garbage emits toxins into the atmosphere and water. 

Styrofoam is also harmful for our health. The main building block of Styrofoam is styrene, which is a toxic chemical compound that has been linked to irritation of the eyes, skin, and upper respiratory tract in humans. When used to contain food, the toxins can leach out into the food, then down our stomachs. 

So how would you like a shot of styrene with your Banana Berry smoothie? Jamba Juice, please consider paper cups or biodegradable plastic cups as alternatives to your current toxin-transmitters. Thank you.

If you are a Jamba Juice lover who is also concerned about its Styrofoam usage, please check out the Love the Juice, Hate the Cup Campaign, already with hundreds of supporters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment