Thursday, August 26, 2010

Welcome

When it came time to pick a topic of interest to blog about, FOOD was the first thing that came to my mind. Growing up in China, I often heard my relatives recite the Chinese proverb, "Food is the first necessity of man". 

It is true. 

Not only do we physically NEED food to survive, food also has great economic and cultural impacts. A few fun facts:
- According to July 2010 industry reports by First Research, the US wholesale food distribution industry has an estimated annual revenue of $670 billion.
- 20 years ago, an average sized bagel is about three inches in diameter. Today, it is five to six inches.
- The normal dinner time in the US is around 7:45pm. In Spain, people usually won't start chowing down until 9:30pm. 

No, I will not be telling you what I ate for breakfast. (Although if you must know, my daily regiment consists of Special K cereal with soy milk, a banana, and a hard-boiled egg.) Nor will I be posting recipes that will make you drool all over your keyboard simply by reading the ingredient list. 

I will, however, be focusing more on the business, cultural, political, nutritional, technological, and media aspects of food. I hope that my blog will provide all you food lovers out there value that recipe books and food diaries do not. Next time before you pick up your fork and knife, remember, there is much more to food than what you are about to put in your mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment